It’s almost time for BIOTEC 2017! Here are some things to know as we get ready for a fun week:
1. You can find the daily schedule and a map of the best places to park at https://ucfbiotec.wordpress.com/schedule-and-program/. Each day at 9:30 AM, we will begin in Room 211 of the Biology building (on the second floor), and possibly venturing out to other labs during the course of the day but always finishing in room 211.
2. If you are driving yourself each day, on Monday you will need to come to the location on the map marked “Drop-off” so you can pick up your parking passes for the week. Each pass is good for one day, and you should be given 5 passes in total. (There are no parking restrictions on the weekends.) If you haven’t emailed me before now to request parking passes, we may not have them for you and as a result you will have to pay $5/day for parking.
3. Lunch will only be provided on Saturday, July 1st. Otherwise, you will need to pack a lunch for each day; you won’t be able to venture off and buy food somewhere as there isn’t enough time.
4. Please dress in long pants and close-toed shoes every day! With that said, the cooler you can dress while meeting that requirement the better; we will spend parts of some days outside and it can get quite hot!
5. The final day of the camp, Saturday July 1st, we will be touring some of UCF’s biology research labs in the morning. After lunch, we will have a “research fair” of sorts where students will present on their weeklong research projects to their peers. Parents are welcome for this final portion of the camp, which will begin at approximately 1 PM on Saturday!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! If I forgot anything major, I will make another post and send another email. Otherwise, see you on Monday!
UCF CoSNews covered BIOTEC here, check out the cool video and pictures
Here is a link to a public album with some photos and videos from this year’s camp:
(More may be added as I finish going through pictures).
It was a pleasure for all of us grad student instructors to share biology lessons and research with the students. Thank you to students and instructors for participating and making it a success!
We look forward to meeting the BIOTEC 2016 participants Monday morning!
See below post for information on parking, forms to bring, what to wear, etc.
Map and important instructions here
Map and Instructions BIOTEC
Camp starts at 9:30a on Monday, June 27.
On the first day of camp, simply drive in between PSB and BIO and we will guide you from there!
If you are planning to park, we will give you your parking passes at this location
– try to arrive around 9:15a so you have time to park and make it back to camp when it begins at 9:30a!
A map is above and in ‘Schedule and Program’.
What to bring:
- Photo consent and Research Informed Consent forms.
- Lunch Monday through Friday. Saturday we will provide lunch.
- Wear closed -toe shoes.
- On Wednesday and Friday we will be outside for part of the day. Please bring a bottle for water and wear clothes and sunscreen appropriate for the hot weather!
We are looking forward to meeting you! See you on June 27!
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A couple updates:
This website has been updated to reflect current instructors; check them out on the “People” tab.
Students should expect to receive consent forms soon via email. 26 students have been accepted to BIOTEC from several counties in the central Florida area. We look forward to seeing them in June!
We thank NSF, ACS and the UCF Biology Department for their financial support. The camp could not happen without it!
Stay tuned: BIOTEC for summer 2016 is on the way!